Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Scouting combine week...

Finally, the combines are here, and we can put times on the players, resulting in final grades. I love Jimmie Lake's comments on the type of corner he's looking for:
Lake: “I’m looking for body movement first. If they have the raw skills that I see on film – body movement-wise, good hips, good speed, good ball awareness – if they have all those little raw tools that I can work with – then I know I can mold them into a very good top-level player in the NFL. That’s all I’m looking for. If I see a guy that I can see right away that he’s limited athletically, then that’ll definitely be a guy that I mark off my list.”
I'm looking forward to the type of corners he's looking at in the draft. I also like what Marinelli says in the same article about who you draft in each round:

Head Coach Rod Marinelli on the difference between picking 15th and picking 2nd: “Well, you’ve got to look at more guys, obviously, but it’s the same thing. I think the temptation the farther you go down the draft is to reach up for somebody where (you compromise character because he is the best player available). I still think you have to keep a certain standard of what you want.”

No comments: