Friday, March 14, 2008

Lions cut Kevin Jones...

I have to admit, I did not see this coming. He's not a franchise back, but he's definitely a winner; nobody has ever run harder than Kevin Jones. The Lions cite the injuries, and the cap for reasons he was released, but he's well worth the 2.5 million in cap room the Lions had on him. The Lions now have a real need at running back that must be addressed in the draft, and I hope they play it smart. Keeping Jones through the draft wouldn't have exposed the need as much, but it is what it is. Playing it smart in the draft would not be jumping up in the first to beat the Bears to the punch. Take what is there, and take the best player available, especially in the first round. The Lions can use a pass rusher, although I'm not enamored with the middle round pass rushers; they can use a tackle, although there is quite a dip there, too. If the Lions can be patient, and even drop back in the first, they should be rewarded. This is a deep draft.

1 comment:

Deryl said...

How do you feel about Bell being the starter next year?

Personally, I'm okay with it because I think the team has too many other needs to worry about.

I read all your posts, but I wish they were a little more frequent.