Monday, April 21, 2008

Reading the tea leaves...

Usually at about this time before the draft comes along, I have a decent guage of what the teams are going to do, but this year it's a little bit different. I'm not buying a bunch of the pre-draft negotiation hype that surrounds the first pick, and therefore, the whole first round is a little weird right now. Here's a few thoughts I have on some of the picks...

1. Dolphins- It would be easy to say they've honed in on Jake Long, but I'm not really buying that. Listening to a radio interview with Chris Long, and the Dolphins really haven't been in touch, so I'm guessing the Dolphins will either draft Vernon Gholston, or Glenn Dorsey. The truth in the matter is that they have a need with all of these players. Just to make a pick, we'll say Jake Long goes here.

2. Rams- I've heard they would love Jake Long here, but I'm not buying that either. They are much more likely to draft an end, so my feeling is they'll pick Gholston here. I love Chris Long, but Gholston is a sexier pick, the better pass rusher. Long is a more well-rounded player, but I feel both will play in Hawaii.

3. Falcons- The only name I've really heard with them is Dorsey, and they'll trip on the way to announce his name as soon as the Rams pick.

4. Raiders- The thing about the Raiders, don't try to figure them out. In this scenario, there are two players available for them, both making a great deal of sense. You'd think that Chris Long is the perfect fit for them, but will they pick McFadden? Only one person knows. If Long is gone, it will be McFadden, but I think family wins out here and the Raiders select Long.

5. Chiefs- Branden Albert. He's really the only name I'm hearing for #5. And he will play LT.

6. Jets- In this scenario, they'll likely select Sedrick Ellis, but I'm not sure how they'll go, either. They could easily draft McFadden, or Ryan. This is also a candidate for a hot trade down with Baltimore, who covets Ryan. Remember, in the draft: Thou shalt not covet, and let the cattle out of the barn.

7. Patriots- I'd be shocked if they didn't select a corner, and it could be Leodis McKelvin, but I wouldn't fault them if they took Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, who I'd give them here in this slot.

8. Ravens- They could stay here and get their man, Ryan. Or they could take a corner they could use, and take a better QB in the 2nd round. I'm not high on Ryan, so I don't get it, but they love him.

9. Bengals- With Ellis likely gone here, I've heard Keith Rivers going here, and Ryan Clady. Both would be solid picks. I'll give them Rivers.

10. Saints- Yes, the running backs are sliding, and this is another slot for a corner. McKelvin is a solid bet I would think to go to the Big Easy.

11. Bills- The Bills have shown us one thing with their recent picks- they'll get their guy, no matter where he's suppose to go. This would be a great place for Devin Thomas to go, he's the #1 WR by far in this draft.

12. Broncos- This is a team with many needs, believe it or not. There are plenty of RB's falling, especially McFadden. Clady is the pick here, I know they'd love to pick up their pass rush, but Clady is who I think they're targeting all along.

13. Panthers- This is where McFadden could very well end up at. I hope he hasn't been invited to New York, because he could get a little sqeamish if he doesn't go #4. He could really drop, and I'm not 100% sure the Panthers would take him, but I'm giving him to them.

14. Bears- I know the Bears would love two picks here, but their line is a mess; and Chris Williams is the likely pick.

15. Lions- In this scenario, I think it's very likely the Lions would take Derrick Harvey. I'd love to have Jerod Mayo, but I don't see Harvey going any earlier.

No comments: